I’ve used this feature for over 10 years, this is definitely the most useful tip when you use Gmail.
The day before, I had shared a great way to customize the Gmail address, but that was not as good as I introduced a tip today.
The average person may not have Gmail but certainly, for webmasters, almost everyone owns a few email addresses at Gmail. Maybe each website creates a Gmail address as an admin, or more advanced, use a separate domain email.
So when you need to check your mail, then how? Maybe you can add all the mail on to a management application such as Outlook, add a Gmail account, or switch over, switch back on the browser, etc. All I find is quite complicated, time-consuming.
The simplest and most wonderful solution here is to use only one main Gmail address to manage all other mailboxes, whether Gmail or Outlook.com, Yandex… as long as there is SMTP Server that can be used.
Advantages of this solution:
- Centralized management, saving time, avoiding missed mail, relaxed mind.
- Just use 1 main Gmail mailbox, no need to switch to other accounts (including Gmail). Using the browser, mobile Gmail app or desktop software is ok.
- Receiving mail from other mailboxes into main Gmail, the delay is negligible.
- Send mail with the address of another mailbox right on Gmail, using the Gmail editor. The recipient will see the email sent from other mailboxes, not from Gmail.
- And an extremely valuable effect, that is creating your own forwarder domain email for free and using Gmail to manage, I will introduce in another post.
There are 2 steps we need to setup:
- Move all mail from other mailboxes to main Gmail, can retrieve both old mails and new mails.
- Setting Gmail to reply automatically uses the original mail address as the sender information.
For each mailbox, you only need to set up one time only, from now on, all emails sent to the other mailbox will automatically send to the main Gmail, when you need to reply, you also operate directly on Gmail as normal only.
In this article, for example, I will use Gmail, firstname.lastname@example.org, to manage my own domain mail – email@example.com using Google’s GSuite service. Why use Gmail as the primary mailbox to manage other mailboxes, simply because the first mail I used was Gmail. You can use Google’s own GSuite domain mailbox.
1. Move all mail from other mailboxes to main Gmail
If you’ve just created an email address, it’s simple, just create a filter that automatically forwards all new mail to your main Gmail address. As for mailboxes that have been used for a while, there will be a lot of old information and data you want to transfer to Gmail. Thankfully, Google has included all the scenarios in order to provide options to users.
– Forward automatically with newly received mail
With the Gmail address you want to forward (firstname.lastname@example.org), follow these steps:
- On the top right, click the settings icon, select Settings.
- Select the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- In the “Forwarding” section, click Add a forwarding address.
- Enter the primary Gmail address you want to forward mail to. Here example email@example.com
- Click Next> Proceed> OK.
- You will receive a verification email, click on the link in it to confirm.
- Return to the Settings section, refresh the browser and reopen the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- In the “Forwarding” section, select Forward a copy of incoming mail to.
- Select the operation you want to deal with these emails, usually choose to keep a copy in Inbox.
- Finally, click Save Changes.
If done correctly, the results you get will be similar to the image below:
You can use the automatic forward setting as instructed or use the Check mail from other accounts feature to let Gmail actively connect to the mail server and copy. However, it is recommended to use the forwarding feature because it is simple, receives mail quickly almost immediately, minimizes latency and applies with the procedure to create your own forwarder email domain name I will guide later.
For other email services, look for specific instructions that you can use to set up forwarding mail.
After this step, from now on, all mail sent to this address will be automatically transferred to the main Gmail, no need to open each mailbox to check new mail again.
– Copy all old mail to the main Gmail
If you want to transfer all the old data to the main Gmail, the operation will be a bit more complicated but not impossible because Gmail has an available option for users.
You continue to click the setting icon, select Settings. Select the Accounts and Import tab, then click Add a mail account in the Check mail from other accounts section and follow the instructions. This self-study, I will not go into details, refer to this guide of Google.
2. Automatically use the original email address as the sender information
For example, after completing this step, with the mail sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and forwarded to email@example.com you can click the Reply button, compose the content and click Send without Regardless of its original mail, Gmail automatically selects the reply mail sent from firstname.lastname@example.org, not email@example.com.
This magical function called Send emails from a different address or alias, it is the Send mail as section of the Accounts and Import tab of Gmail’s Settings page.
To add a new email address, click Add another email address and enter the sender information, secondary email address (here is firstname.lastname@example.org) into the corresponding. Do not click on the Treat as an alias box because if you click on the email you will know your original Gmail address.
Click Next Step.
The next step you need to enter the SMTP Server information, for example with email@example.com email, I use GSuite so Gmail is very smart, automatically filled out the information. With other email services you can search for information, if not found, contact support to get.
Click Add Account.
Next, you will need to confirm the owner with the email address you are adding to the main Gmail by clicking the link or entering the code in the confirmation mail to verify. After doing this step, you will see the new mail address appear in the Send mail as.
One more step to do is to select the Reply from the same address the message was sent to line so that Gmail automatically selects the appropriate mail address when composing mail.
That’s all, now you only need to use one email address to manage up to 99 other mails.
- SMTP Server: smtp.yandex.com
- Secured connection: SSL
- Port: 465
- SMTP Server: smtp.office365.com
- Secured connection: TLS
- Port: 587
- SMTP Server: smtp.zoho.com
- Secured connection: SSL or TLS
- Port: 465 or 587